- This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 5 months ago by .
Recent research has confirmed that site availability, certainly during peak periods, which we as a club would normally try to avoid anyway, is becoming scarce.
IAH members need to make a hurried decision if we want to use Ambleside Rugby Club again for 2018. The week that we would normally choose in late June is already booked by another camping organisation for 2018.
There are weeks either side of that week currently available but if we are not quick then we could find that all of May, June and July 2018 will be booked by others.
It would be interesting for members to air their views here so that we as a club can make a confirmed booking for 2018. We, Christine and I, believe it would be a shame to lose Ambleside as a bookable venue if we were seen not to be supporting it. Ambleside is such a beautiful area and the Rugby Club, which was initially proposed as a venue many years ago by stalwart members Edwin and Vera Watson, lends itself ideally to our purpose during an AGM, because of the facilities of the clubhouse. Being in the heart of the Lake District, there is so much to do and see plus car transport is not necessary here. A timely response of your opinion would put us as a club in a stronger position to enable the booking of a suitable venue that could accommodate our AGM needs, at least for 2018.
The above would seem to suggest as confirmed by the demand reported recently at various venues, that the public in general are choosing not to go to Europe en masse in future but instead are choosing to holiday in Great Britain, either in a caravan or motorhome, so perhaps we should be thinking ahead for 2019 meets.
Therefore, if you have had any thoughts about proposing a venue for a meet in the future, do ensure that you make any provisional enquiries well in advance.
In complete contrast to the above, there is a possibility that we can have two follow-on weeks in the West Country towards the end July this year (2017) depending on interest. The first week on offer could be at the rally field of a new Hobby dealer near Bristol, who although he has been made aware of our independent status, is prepared to put on a ‘Coffee and Danish’ morning during our stay, to include a Hobby technical questions and answers session. Camping costs have not been discussed yet with the Hobby dealer, nothing has been finalised or agreed but I am not expecting it to be overpriced. If it is then we would not consider it.
The second full week of camping could be at the venue of the Boconnoc Steam Fair near Lostwithiel. The steam fair is to be held on the days of Friday 28th, Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th July. Camping is available at £10 per night for the nights of Sunday 23rd, Monday 24th, Tuesday 25th, Wednesday 26th and Sunday 30th July although the price for camping on the nights of Thursday 27th, Friday 28th and Saturday 29th July is at £25 per night but does include entry to the fair for two adults on each of the three show days.
Booking at the Boconnoc Steam Fair would more than likely be each member’s responsibility. A booking form can be downloaded at http://www.lsvc.org
Depending on interest we may be able to arrange a block booking here but once again, your prompt expression of interest to both of these venues would be a necessity.
Christine and I, are by no means steam enthusiasts but to be offered these venues in another beautiful part of our country, which we seem not to attend often enough feel that it would be a shame to pass on these two provisional invites. As time is running short the IAH committee would need to know as quickly as possible how many members are interested in this two week adventure in order to be able to make this a definite !
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.